1. Kogel Bay, False Bay
Kogel Bay is set along the coastal road between Gordon’s Bay and Rooiels. You can only braai here if you camp at the resort but day visitors can braai for free at adjacent Sparks Bay and Klippiesbaai. Ablutions are available, but alcohol is prohibited.
- Entrance: Free at Sparks Bay and Klippiesbaai, R105 per stand for camping at Kogel Bay (season dependent)*
- Where: Clarence Drive, 15km from Gordon’s Bay
- Contact: +27 (0)21 856 9622
2. Krismis Camp, Paarl Mountain Nature Reserve
Enjoy a leisurely braai nestled within fynbos, olive trees, and granite boulders at Krismis Camp in Paarl Mountain Nature Reserve.
- Entrance: R29 per car, R8 per person on weekends/public holidays, free on weekdays*
- Where: Paarl Mountain Nature Reserve, Paarl
- Contact: +27 (0)21 807 4500
3. Meulwater, Paarl
Braai amongst spectacular natural scenery at the Meulwater Wildflower Reserve. There are picnic sites and braai areas available, as well as hiking trails leading from the reserve.
- Entrance: Free*
- Where: Meulwater Wildflower Reserve, Paarl
- Contact: +27 (0)21 872 3658
4. Oudekraal, Camps Bay
Oudekraal Beach is a secluded beach situated on the coastal road between Camps Bay and Llandudno, offering braai facilities with a fantastic view of the ocean. It gets busy on weekends and public holidays so arrive early to get a good spot. Alcohol is prohibited.
- Entrance: R25 per adult, R10 per child, free with a Wild Card*
- Where: Victoria Road, between Llandudno and Camps Bay
- Contact: +27 (0)21 438 9555
5. Eerste Steen, Melkbosstrand
Eerste Steen is located in the Blaauwberg Conservation Area and offers a fantastic spot for a day braai, with magnificent views of Table Mountain and excellent opportunities for water sports. Alcohol is prohibited. The braai area is open from 08h00 – 19h00 (November – April) and 08h00 – 17h00 (May – October).
- Entrance: R13 per person, R6.50 for pensioners, R18 per car*
- Where: Otto du Plessis Drive, Blouberg
- Contact: +27 (0)21 554 2745
6. Silvermine Dam, Table Mountain National Park
Silvermine dam has stunning picnic and braai spots with excellent views of the fynbos covered mountains. A boardwalk encircling the dam provides wheelchair access. Picnics are allowed all year round, but please note that no braaiing is permitted during the high fire risk season (summer and early autumn).
- Entrance: R40 per adult, R20 per child, free with Wild Card*
- Where: Silvermine Gate 1, Ou Kaapse Weg
- Contact: +27 (0)21 780 9002
7. Preekstoel, West Coast National Park
There are great braai spots overlooking the Langebaan lagoon. These braais are available on a first come, first serve basis so get there early.
- Entrance: R40 per adult, R30 a child, free with a Wild Card (R56 per adult, R28 per child during August – September)*
- Where: R27, West Coast National Park.
- Contact: +27 (0)22 772 2144
8. Tweede Tol, Bainskloof Pass
Tweede Tol picnic and campsite is set next to the Witte and Wolwekloof rivers in a world heritage site, and is perfect for day time braais. It can get crowded on weekends and public holidays, but a dip in the river pools makes it worth it. The gates are open from 08h00 – 18h00 daily.
- Entrance: R30 an adult, R15 a child*
- Where: Bainskloof Pass, R301 between Wellington and Ceres
- Contact: +27 (0)21 659 3602
9. Tokai Forest, Tokai
Situated on the edge of the Tokai plantation, the Tokai Forest braai spot offers ample space for family gatherings. Please be aware of Chacma baboons that enter the picnic in search of food. No alcohol is permitted. The braai area is open daily from 09h00 – 16h00.
- Entrance: R15 an adult, R10 a child, R15 per car*
- Where: Tokai Road, Tokai
- Contact: +27 (0)21 712 7471
10. Newlands Forest, Newlands
The Newlands braai area is set under the shade of pine trees, with several hikes leading from the picnic area. Alcohol is prohibited. The braai area is open daily from 08h00 – 17h00, but closed during the winter period (June – September).
- Entrance: R30 for up to 6 people, R10 thereafter. 50% discount with a Wild Card*
- Where: M3 freeway, Newlands
- Contact: +27 (0)21 422 1601